The Building and Safety Division issues permits, provides plan check and inspection services, conducts code enforcement and provides assistance to citizens in complying with jurisdictional and State building codes to ensure the safety of the citizens of Moreno Valley.
Customer Counter Visits - Total/Daily Average: 579/29
Building Permits Issued: 205
Effective October 1, 2015, the City of Moreno Valley has implemented an expedited permitting process for small residential solar systems in compliance with Assembly Bill 2188 as signed by Governor Brown in 2014 (Ordinance No. 902). View all related forms here.
A building permit is required whenever any addition or structural modification is to be made to an existing commercial or living space. A building permit is also required if building a structure, such as a tool shed that is larger than 120 square feet.
Build a patio cover
Yes. A permit is required for all attached and freestanding patio covers. No permit is required for a patio slab.
Build a retaining or block wall
Display exterior signs and banners
Yes. A sign permit is required.
Replace a wood fence
No, provided it is replaced with wood, vinyl or wrought iron, and in the same location and not over 6 feet in height. Additional requirements can be viewed here.
Yes, if repairing or replacing roofing components over 100 square feet of the roof of your home or garage.
You will need to fill out the Application for Building Permit. If you are an owner-builder you will also need to fill out the Building Permit – Owner Builder Verification form. Also make sure to include the Fire screening form with your submittal.
If all required documents are submitted, normal review time is within 10 business days.
Building and Safety does not require landlord approval for architectural submittals (eg. drawings and plans).
Inspections required would need to be discussed with your building inspector.
Permit fees vary depending on the type and work done. Fees can be viewed here or you can contact us at 951.413.3350 for an estimate.
You can apply for legalization through the permitting process; if that is not an option, you will be required to remove the unpermitted structure by obtaining a demo permit.
Yes, contractors are required to be licensed in California. The Department of Consumer Affairs Contractors State License Board has a website that enables you to look up license status and information by the contractor’s name or license number.
Data & Records
Yes. You will need to complete and submit a Public Records Request form. Some documents may need an Affidavit for Duplication of Plans, signed by the professional designer, to be submitted before copies can be released.
To receive copies of the city approved set of plans; an Affidavit for Duplication of Plans signed by the professional designer, must be completed and submitted to the Building and Safety Department.
Please contact Building and Safety for pricing information at (951) 413-3350.
Forms and Applications
Building and Roofing
- Building Permit
- Building Permit – Owner-Builder Verification
- Re-Roofing Permit
- 2013 Building Energy Efficiency Standards Residential HVAC Alternations Climate Zones 10 to 15
- Commercial/Tenant Improvement Plan Check Requirements
Certificate of Occupancy
- Cover Sheet
- Temporary Commercial Signage (also see related Sign Application)
- Notarized Consent Form
- Requirements for Floor Plan Certificate of Occupancy
- Air Quality Permit Checklist
- Emergency Contact Information
- Application for Temporary Utility Services
- Business License Application
- Helpful Information for Businesses
- Patio Cover Standard
- Balcony/Deck Standard
- Patio: Plot Plan/Patio Cover
- Solid Patio Cover with Tile Roof Plan Submittal Requirements
A completed application, eligibility checklist, and plan in PDF format may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eligibility Checklist for Expedited Residential Solar PV Permitting
- Simplified Standard Plan – Central String Inverter
- Simplified Standard Plan – Micro Inverter
Electric Vehicle Charging Systems
- Eligibility Checklist for Expedited Electric Vehicle Charging Station Residential Permitting
- Eligibility Checklist for Expedited Electric Vehicle Charging Station Multi-unit Dwelling Permitting
- Eligibility Checklist for Expedited Electric Vehicle Charging Station Non-residential Permitting
- Accessible Exception Form
- Helpful Tips for the Owner Builder
- Permit Routing Process
- Public Records Request
- Requirements for Construction Plans for Single-Family Dwellings/Room Additions
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm and Plumbing Retrofit Verification
- Title 24 Disability Access Complaint
- Who Needs Building Codes
Inspection requests are based upon availability. To schedule an inspection online, please click the button below. Alternatively, you can call in inspection requests at (951) 413-3380. If calling in inspection requests, please have your Permit number and inspection Category number ready.
Building and Safety
Main line: 951.413.3350
Inspection line: 951.413.3380
Inspection email: Building Inspections@moval.org
Building and Safety Supervisor
Also of interest...