Business Licenses

City Hall at night Stoneridge Center at Towngate New Power Sub-Station

Welcome to the City of Moreno Valley’s Business License information center. The Business License Team wants to help you get your business started in the easiest & quickest manner. Give us a call at 951-413-3080 or send us email at so we can walk you through the requirements for getting your Business License and getting your business opened.

New Licenses

Operating a new business in the City of Moreno Valley requires specific licenses and permits before the business can operate legally. Please complete the appropriate paperwork below to begin the business license process.

Businesses located within Moreno Valley

Please complete one of the following Business Application Packets and submit the completed paperwork in person to the customer service counter at City Hall. We know your time is valuable and with a completed Business Application Packet we will help you finalize all City of Moreno Valley requirements in one simple visit.

Business Application Packet

Businesses Located Outside of Moreno Valley

Please complete an online application or complete the appropriate application below and submit the completed paperwork in person to the customer service counter at City Hall.

General Guidelines for Opening a New Business

In addition to a Business License, additional documentation may be required from Federal, State or Local agencies.

  • Sales: Anyone selling products must have a state Sellers Permit. If you are an in-city business you must provide a copy of your Seller's Permit when you apply. Please note your permit must show the Moreno Valley address. The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration will be able to provide address changes, if needed
  • Business Name: If a Fictitious Business Name is used, it must be filed through the Riverside County Clerk & Recorder.
  • Ownership: If a Partnership, Corporation, Trust or Limited Liability Corporation owns the business, you must provide a Federal ID Number (EIN). If you are a Sole Proprietor you may either use your Social Security Number or a Federal ID Number. A husband and wife may or may not need to obtain a Federal ID Number.
  • Employers: If you have employees, you must provide a State ID Number (EDD).
  • Licensed Contractors: If you operate a business that is licensed by a state agency (such as contractors) you must provide your State License number, type and expiration.
  • An Independent Contractor or Booth Rental License is for individuals working in an existing licensed business (ex. barbers, hairstylists, real estate agents and massage therapists.)
  • A Peddler/Solicitor License is required for Individuals or organizations that wish to engage in door-to-door sales.

Other Resources


Key Dates

  • Renewal Notices sent out 2nd week of December
  • Business License Renewal Due Date January 31

Online renewal is available for businesses that have a current business license only. Businesses that have expired licenses must return the business license application form to City Hall:

  • For Current License Holders Only: Business license renewals only apply to those who have a current business license. If you have a current business license and would like to renew before the expiration date you can renew online here.
  • Expired License Holders: To renew past licenses that have expired, please complete the appropriate application form on the “New Licenses” tab and return it to City Hall in person during regular business hours, Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. and every Friday from 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. or mail it to City of Moreno Valley, 14177 Frederick Street, PO BOX 88005, Moreno Valley, CA 92552-0805.

Online License Services

The following business license services may be accessed using the link below.

  • Apply for a new business license
  • Pay an outstanding license balance
  • Create or Sign-in to your account
  • Renew an existing business license
  • Close a business
  • Search for a business

Click Here for Online Services


Please review the frequently asked questions to help answer any questions you may have on new business licenses or renewals.

What Is a Business License?
A business license is required in order to conduct business legally within the city limits. The purpose of the license is to provide funding for general services such as police and fire protection, crime prevention, and many other community services, which may benefit the business.

Who Needs a Business License?
Per the City of Moreno Valley Municipal Code Title 5.02.020(A) Business Regulation, all businesses including, Rental Property, Non-Profit Organizations, Independent Contractors, Churches and Religious Organizations operating in the City of Moreno Valley are required to have a business license. This includes businesses which operate from a home, commercial location or subleases within an existing business. A separate business license certificate is required for each branch or location within the city. If you conduct business activities within the City of Moreno Valley but are located outside the City, you are required to have a Moreno Valley business license.

  • Rental Property
    For owners of multiple single family residential rental properties a business license is needed for each property. One Business License Application Fee will be charged if you have ten (10) or less properties. Property owners with more than ten properties pay a separate application fee for each property.
  • Non-Profit Organizations, Churches and Religious Organizations
    A business license is required for Non-Profit, Churches and Religious Organizations. With proof of a 501(c) (3) Non-Profit Status, they are exempt from the business license processing fee and gross receipts tax.

Conducting Business Legally
The issuance of a business license does not entitle the license holder to conduct any business which is otherwise prohibited. Businesses may also be required to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy, Home Occupation Permit, Conditional Use Permit, and/or other City, County, State, or Federal approvals before a business may operate.

  • Commercial Businesses
    Each commercial business located within the City of Moreno Valley must obtain a Certificate of Occupancy from the Building and Safety Department.
  • Home-Based Businesses
    Each home-based business located within the City of Moreno Valley must obtain a Home Occupation Permit from the Planning Department.

Who can I contact with any Business License questions?
For any of your business license questions, you may contact the City of Moreno Valley at:
Phone: 951-413-3080
City Website:
Business License Website:

Additionally, please feel free to stop by City Hall located at:
14177 Frederick Street
Moreno Valley, CA 92553

Additional Requirements
Some businesses require special approval and permits in addition to the standard business license application. If your business is one of these, you will be supplied with additional information to assist in processing your application. Examples of these businesses are, but not limited to:

  • Mobile Food Vendors
  • Massage Operators
  • Peddlers / Solicitors
  • Taxis
  • Bingo

How long is a Business License valid?
Business licenses are valid from January 1st through December 31st of each year. For any new business applying for a business license, the license period will be adjusted to reflect the applicable start date and all licenses will expire on December 31st of each year.

When are Business License renewals due?
All renewals are due by January 31st of each year and become delinquent if received after that date. Penalties and Interest will be assessed if the Renewal Application Form is not received by January 31st. Renewals may also be completed online.

What type of Business Entity should I have?
You may choose to conduct a business as a sole proprietorship, corporation, partnership, or a limited liability company. You should consult with a legal representative and an accountant before making any determination as to the type of business entity to form. For more information on each type of business entity, please visit the California Business Portal section of the Secretary of State's website. Unless you conduct your business as a sole proprietorship, you must file papers with the

  • Secretary of State's office:
    Secretary of State Business Programs Division
    1500 11th St. Sacramento, CA 95814

What is a Fictitious Name Statement and who must file?
If you use a business name other than your own legal surname, you must file a fictitious name statement with the Riverside County Clerk. Every individual, partnership, and other associations and corporations who regularly transact business for profit in this state under a fictitious business name must file a fictitious business name statement.

  • County of Riverside Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder
    2427 Gateway Dr.
    Riverside CA 92507
    Ph: 951-486-7000

Where can I obtain a Seller's Permit, (Retail Sales Tax Number)?
The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) issues seller's permits and is responsible for the administration and collection of the state's sales and use, fuel, alcohol, tobacco, and other special taxes and fees.

  • California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
    3737 Main St. #1000
    Riverside, CA 92506

Where do I obtain a State Tax ID Number?
The Franchise Tax Board (FTB) issues State Tax identification numbers and administers personal and corporate income and franchise taxes for the State of California. Information regarding this number (which is utilized to track state withholding taxes) can be obtained from the California Franchise Tax Board at:

  • Franchise Tax Board
    600 W. Santa Ana Blvd., Suite 300
    Santa Ana, CA 92701-4543
    Ph: 800-852-5711

Where can I obtain a Federal Tax ID Number?
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issues federal employer identification numbers and administers federal payroll taxes, including social security, Medicare, federal unemployment insurance and federal income tax withholding. For more information, please contact:

  • Internal Revenue Service
    290 N. D St.
    San Bernardino CA 92401
    Ph: 909-388-8108

Where do I get my State Employer Identification Number?
The Employment Development Department (EDD) issues state employer identification numbers, (SEIN) and administers California's payroll taxes, including unemployment insurance, employment training tax, state disability insurance, and California personal income tax withholding.

  • Employment Development Department
    1180 Palmyrita Ave. #B
    Riverside CA 92501
    Ph: 888-745-3886

What type of Permits or Licenses do I need to start my business?
Depending upon the type of business you conduct, you may also be required to obtain special license(s) or permits from the State of California, County of Riverside, City of Moreno Valley or other agencies. To determine which occupations and businesses require additional licenses or permits you may contact:

I'm going to be serving Food Products. Do I need special approvals?
Yes. The Riverside County Department of Environmental Health reviews all plans for compliance with State of California health codes. They are interested in the type of restaurant equipment installed, the categories of food you are handling and standards relating to employee hygiene. The Health Department can be reached at:

  • Riverside County
    Department of Environmental Health
    4065 County Circle Dr.
    Riverside CA 90503
    Ph: 951-358-5172
    800 S. Sanderson #200
    Hemet CA 92545
    Ph: 951-766-2824

If I sell any Alcoholic Beverages, will I need any special approvals?
Yes. The sale and serving of alcoholic beverages in conjunction with any business is governed by the State of California Alcoholic Beverage Control Agency (ABC). Please contact them regarding all pertinent rules, regulations and required permits. In addition, to obtaining a license from the ABC, your business may also require special review and approvals from the City of Moreno Valley Planning Department.

  • Department of Alcohol and Beverage Control
    3737 Main St., Suite #900
    Riverside, CA 92501
    Ph: 951-782-4400

If I sell Tobacco Products do I need special permits?
Yes. The sale of Tobacco Products in conjunction with any business is governed by the State of California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) and Riverside County Department of Environmental Health. Please contact them regarding all pertinent rules, regulations and required permits.

Where can I find a copy of the Business License Ordinance
Click here for the City of Moreno Valley Business License Ordinance

Download a printable version of the FAQs


Current business license fees are as follows:

Jan 1, 2019 thru Dec 31, 2019

per license


Vehicle Tag

per tag


License for Farmers Market

per vendor per day


License for single day events.
(Treasury Operations Division Manager approval required.)

per vendor per day


Reprint of License



Business Listing



Please note that business license fees are not pro-rated and are valid through the end of the calendar year. Business licenses that are purchased after October 31 will be valid through the end of the following calendar year.

City business license fees include a processing fee which can be found on the application and a gross receipts tax. All businesses are classified in one of three categories. Each category has a separate gross receipts tax scale:

Category A (Retail) Category B (Services): Category C (Professional Services):

$.25 per $1000 of gross receipts

$.50 per $1000 of gross receipts

$.75 per $1000 of gross receipts

(calculate using 0.00025)

(calculate using 0.00050)

(calculate using 0.00075)

Please refer to the Business License Categories & Application Fees schedule for details on specific business categories.

State Law-AB 1379

Effective January 1, 2018, the State of California has enacted AB 1379 (Dutton; Special Access: liability), a new law which imposes a $4.00 State fee on every applicant for a local business license or renewal (including all in-city commercial and home-based, landlords, out-of-city, and all contractors. Exempts and non-profits are excluded) and is required to be collected by all cities and counties throughout California, including the City of Moreno Valley. This new law requires that you be provided the following notices: Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:

Hire MoVal

In May 2016 the City Council adopted a resolution to expand the Hire MoVal program to include small businesses. The Hire MoVal program provides incentives to businesses located in Moreno Valley who hire Moreno Valley residents. With this new expansion of the program qualified businesses receive a discount equal to the annual Business License Processing Fee. This page provides information on the program including the program qualifications, the program contract and the annual recertification form. If you have any questions please contact a member of the Business License Team at 951-413-3080 or send an email.

Program Specifics

Who Qualifies?

  • Businesses located in Moreno Valley
  • Annual Gross Receipts are less than $200,000 per year
  • At least 40% of their employees are residents of Moreno Valley

How long does the exemption last?
With the annual renewals the exemption could last as long as three years. The program will expire after the business license renewal period that begins in December 2018 and is completed in January 2019. If the annual recertification is not returned by the due date, the exemption will end during the next business license renewal cycle.

What are the annual requirements?
A recertification report must be completed each year by October 31 and submitted to the City. The exemption will be applied to the next business license renewal cycle that begins in each December.

Other Benefits Included in Hire MoVal:

  • Businesses may use the workforce recruitment services provided by the Moreno Valley Employment Resource Center (ERC)
  • Businesses may access the Small Business Development Center (SBDC Inland Empire)
  • Businesses may adopt a “First Source” approach to employee recruitment

If you have any questions regarding the application process for a business license, the renewal process or any other business license issue please feel free to contact us either by phone or email.

Phone: 951-413-3080

Moreno Valley Logo



Moreno Valley City Hall
14177 Frederick Street
PO Box 88005
Moreno Valley, CA 92552
Phone: 951.413.3000
Hours: Monday - Thursday; 7:30am - 5:30pm
Fridays: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Get in touch: Contact us
Copyright City of Moreno Valley, All Rights Reserved.
Important Information About This Site