City Offers Cold Weather Tips for Pets
The Animal Services Division of the City of Moreno Valley is offering useful tips to pet owners to ensure their furry friends are safe and alive when the temperature drops during this winter season. Like their owners, pets too will feel the winter chill and the following tips will help them stay safe and healthy this winter.
- When a cold spell hits make sure all outside pets have proper shelter from the cold and wet weather. Bring your pets inside, if possible.
- Keep your pets coat long during the cold season as it provides warmth. If you own a pet with a short coat, consider a pet coat or sweater available at most pet stores.
- To help maintain body heat and keep your pets dry this winter pet sweaters are available in all sizes at your local pet stores. Makes a great holiday gift for Fido!
- If you have an outside pet that is active check with you veterinarian on the best amount and type of food that will provide the necessary protein to keep your pet in tip top shape.
- Got Cats? Keep them inside! Cats can easily become lost and all too often end up injured or even exposed to infectious diseases such as upper respiratory infections or even worse, rabies, if they have contact with wildlife.
- If your pet needs a bath make sure your pet is thoroughly dry before going outside for that daily walk. Puppies, kittens, and older adult pets can be especially sensitive to the cold so keeping them dry is a must.
- Make sure your pet has their ID on at all times. Many dogs get lost during the winter so an ID tag is important. Today many owners have their pets microchipped as a means of permanent identification. The Moreno Valley Animal Shelter offers microchips for only $ 16.00
For more information about keeping your pets safe during this winter season please contact the Moreno Valley Animal Shelter at 951.413.3790. For other helpful tips visit the city’s web site at www.moval.org and click on “Animal Shelter” under “Resident Services”.
# # #