A new era of library service began for the citizens of Moreno Valley on July 1, 1998. On that date, the City of Moreno Valley began operation of the library facility located at 25480 Alessandro Boulevard as a City department.
During the first half of 1912, the fledgling Riverside County Free Library began negotiations with the residents of the small community of Moreno to establish a station in a local store, school, or home. From that modest beginning in a small farming community, library service developed into what we enjoy today. The City and County of Riverside continued operation of the library until 1997, when a contract was reached with Library Systems and Services, Inc., to operate the Riverside County system. The City of Moreno Valley began negotiations to separate itself from the county system in 1996, hiring the first library director and staff during the spring of 1998.
The current facility, standing on the site of the old Midland Middle School, was constructed with Title II Library Services and Construction Act funds as well as with the assistance from the Developer's Trust Fund. The cost of the 16,000-square-foot building which opened as a branch of the Riverside County Library System to the public on February 21, 1987, was $1,875,592. Originally built to house the library and a senior and community center, the library now occupies the entire space.
After taking over the building in July of 1998, work crews completed renovations that provided for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Aesthetic changes were made that allowed for greater patron comfort, and staff offices were created. A park-like setting is now maintained on the grounds surrounding the building.
The Library on Alessandro Boulevard was closed in September 2005 due to water intrusion, so officials explored various alternatives to provide library services in the community. Major modifications were made to the building and it was reopened on April 2, 2007.
Also of Interest