Skip Navigation

Business License Information

Welcome to the City of Moreno Valley’s Business License information center.

The Business License Team wants to help you get your business started in the easiest and quickest manner. If you have any questions, just get in touch  so we can walk you through the requirements for getting your Business License and getting your business opened.

Tip: Licensed businesses in Moreno Valley can qualify for Hire Moval incentives including a discount equal to the annual Business License Processing Fee. Learn how...

Getting a New Business License

Operating a new business in the City of Moreno Valley requires specific licenses and permits before the business can operate legally. Please complete the appropriate paperwork below to begin the business license process.

Business Located Within Moreno Valley

Use the online system:

ONLINE Business License Application

Or, complete one of the following Business Application Packets and submit the completed paperwork in person to the customer service counter at City Hall.

Business Located Outside Moreno Valley

Use the online system:

Online Business License Application

Or, complete the appropriate application below and submit the completed paperwork in person to the customer service counter at City Hall.


General Guidelines for Opening a New Business

In addition to a Business License, additional documentation may be required from Federal, State or Local agencies.

  • Sales: Anyone selling products must have a state Sellers Permit. If you are an in-city business you must provide a copy of your Seller's Permit when you apply. Please note your permit must show the Moreno Valley address. The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration will be able to provide address changes, if needed
  • Business Name: If a Fictitious Business Name is used, it must be filed through the Riverside County Clerk & Recorder.
  • Ownership: If a Partnership, Corporation, Trust or Limited Liability Corporation owns the business, you must provide a Federal ID Number (EIN). If you are a Sole Proprietor you may either use your Social Security Number or a Federal ID Number. A husband and wife may or may not need to obtain a Federal ID Number.
  • Employers: If you have employees, you must provide a State ID Number (EDD).
  • Licensed Contractors: If you operate a business that is licensed by a state agency (such as contractors) you must provide your State License number, type and expiration.
  • An Independent Contractor or Booth Rental License is for individuals working in an existing licensed business (ex. barbers, hairstylists, real estate agents and massage therapists.)
  • A Peddler/Solicitor License is required for Individuals or organizations that wish to engage in door-to-door sales.

Other Resources


Business License Renewal

Moreno Valley business licenses are issued annually. Here are the key renewal dates:

  • Renewal Notices sent out 2nd week of December
  • Business License Renewal Due Date January 31 

How you renew the license depends on if it is current, or not:


License Fees

Current business license fees from Jan 1, 2019 thru Dec 31, 2019 are:

 (Note that business license fees are not pro-rated and are valid through the end of the calendar year. Business licenses that are purchased after September 30 will be valid through the end of the following calendar year.)

Per license


Vehicle Tag (per tag)


License for Farmers Market
(per vendor per day)


License for single day events per vendor, per day
(Treasury Operations Division Manager approval required.)


Reprint of License (each)


Business Listing (each)


City business license fees include a processing fee which can be found on the application and a gross receipts tax. All businesses are classified in one of three categories. Each category has a separate gross receipts tax scale:

Category A

Category B

Category C
(Professional Services):

$.25 per $1000 of gross receipts

$.50 per $1000 of gross receipts

$.75 per $1000 of gross receipts

(calculate using 0.00025)

(calculate using 0.00050)

(calculate using 0.00075)

Please refer to the Business License Categories & Application Fees schedule for details on specific business categories.

State Law-AB 1379

Effective January 1, 2018, the State of California has enacted AB 1379 (Dutton; Special Access: liability), a new law which imposes a $4 State fee on every applicant for a local business license or renewal (including all in-city commercial and home-based, landlords, out-of-city, and all contractors. Exempts and non-profits are excluded) and is required to be collected by all cities and counties throughout California, including the City of Moreno Valley.

This new law requires that you be provided the following notices: Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies: