MV PD Safety Tips
Vehicle Burglary Prevention Tips
The Moreno Valley Police Department would like to give you a few vehicle burglary prevention tips. There are many things vehicle owners and residents can do to protect themselves, their neighbors and their property. By taking actions to prevent vehicle burglaries and reporting suspicious activity, residents can curb vehicle burglaries in their neighborhoods and public parking lots.
- Always lock your doors even if you are making a quick stop at the gas station, convenience store or mini mall.
- Do not leave any personal property lying on the seats of the vehicle.
- Always put personal property away (out of sight), prior to arrival at your destination; place the property under a seat or inside the trunk.
- If you have a pull out stereo, take it with you. If you have a detachable faceplate stereo, take the faceplate with you.
- Do not leave money in your ashtray.
- Keep your garage door remote out of plain view, and if stolen, change the remote control frequency.
- Don’t leave a vehicle in unattended parking lots for an extended period.
- Never attach a tag with your name and address to your key ring. If the keys are lost or stolen, the tag will lead a thief directly to your car and your home. If you have to leave your vehicle with a parking attendant, leave only the ignition key.
- At night, park in well-lit areas with lots of people around.
- Consider an alarm system.
- Report to police any person(s) in your neighborhood who appear suspicious or out of place. If possible get a description of the subjects.
- Don’t hesitate to call the police if you are suspicious of someone or something. Time is of the essence.
If you would like to report a suspicious person or vehicle, call Moreno Valley Police at (951) 247-8700 or in case of emergency, call 911. For additional information regarding the safety of your vehicle call (951) 486-6700.